Friday, November 4, 2011

The Flip Side of Dyslexia

Happy Friday all you devoted readers! (At least I hope there are some of you out there reading this!)
I wanted to let you know about this new book I am reading. It came out a couple months ago, but I have just discovered it and began reading it. After only the Preface and 1st chapter, I am eagerly looking forward to my next chance to read more!

It is called The Dyslexic Advantage: Unlocking the Hidden Potential of the Dyslexic Brain. So many people define dyslexia by the struggles it causes. It is defined as a learning disability that causes difficulty sounding out unknown words when reading and spelling, difficulty memorizing sequences, reduced reading comprehension because of their poor decoding abilities, etc. However, dyslexia is sooooooo much more than that...and not just more weaknesses. Individuals with dyslexia excel in many areas! People with dyslexia are creative, have great 3D visualization, are great at sports, talented in art, or are able to perceive subtle patterns in data sets. Their strengths are not limited to these areas, nor will they display strengths in all the areas. But because of these assets we see people with dyslexia as inventors, famous architects, photographers, entrepreneurs, actors, sports stars, etc.

While I knew all of this before starting to read this book, I did not focus on it. Because I work with kids everyday to strengthen their reading and spelling skills, I guess I too often get stuck on their weaknesses. Even by reading the very beginning of this book, I am excited to start highlighting more of these students' strengths and gifts!! I can't wait to see everything this book talks about. I promise to give updates as I continue!

If you have read this book, let me know what you think. If you are dyslexic (or know someone who is) and gifted in a specific area, let us know about that. Let's help each other focus on the positive and be encouraged!

I'll start...I just married a man who is dyslexic, but didn't know it until he met me. However, he is a great photographer and has an eye for that. We can be walking along and he'll tell me to "look at that...it would be a great picture!" He is also very gifted in music! He plays guitar and is learning piano. He has written several songs...one of which was for me that he sang for me at our rehearsal dinner. I am so lucky to be married to a wonderful and talented dyslexic man!!

Now tell me your story!

No comments:

Post a Comment